Southport 24 Hour A&E unit marked for closure
Dozens of accident and emergency units are facing closure or being downgraded in a far-reaching overhaul of urgent care which senior doctors warn would have “disastrous” consequences for the NHS.
An analysis of documents drawn up to remodel the health service in England shows a catastrophic amount of numbers have been marked for potential closure despite record demand for A&Es and serious overcrowding across the country as the NHS goes through its most severe winter crisis since records began.
Last month produced the worst performance for A&E waits in 13 years. Research based on 44 regional blueprints by the Johnston Press Investigation Unit reveals that managers are planning to cater for up to 30 per cent fewer A&E visits and plans have already been advanced to downgrade units to urgent care centres (UCC) with fewer specialist or consultant-grade staff.
A&E units at risk Active plans for closure or downgrade include our very own Southport District General Hospital.
According to iNews, health service managers have said that in cases where changes are already happening, the result will be improved provision to local services.
– Southport District General Hospital, Merseyside
– Charing Cross Hospital, west London
– Chorley and South Ribble Hospital, Lancashire
– Grantham Hospital, Lincolnshire
– Warrington Hospital, Cheshire
– Weston General Hospital, Somerset
– Tameside General Hospital, Greater Manchester
– Fairfield General Hospital, Bury, Greater Manchester
– George Eliot Hospital, Nuneaton, Warwickshire
– Queens Hospital, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
– Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex
– Southend University Hospital, Essex
– County Hospital, Stafford
– Horton General Hospital, Oxfordshire
– Milton Keynes University Hospital, Buckinghamshire
– Bedford Hospital, Bedfordshire
– St Helier Hospital, Surrey
– Kingston Hospital, west London
– Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, Shrewsbury
– Princess Royal Hospital, Shropshire
– Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, West Yorkshire
– Darlington Memorial, Durham
– University Hospital of North Tees, Stockton-on-Tees
– Macclesfield General Hospital, Cheshire
– Scarborough General Hospital, North Yorkshire