Update: Firefighters Rescue Man After Fire In Neighbouring Flat In Southport January 30th, 2015 jmr jmr Latest News Latest Uncategorized Shares Comments Firefighters extinguished a fire at a flat in Southport. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called out to Manchester Road at around 4.30pm on Thursday, January 29. This was a fire in the kitchen of a first floor flat of the property. A plastic bin and its contents were damaged by fire and the kitchen was also damaged by fire. The remainder of the flat was damaged by smoke. Smoke detectors that had been fitted by Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service activated and alerted neighbours to the fire. A 62-year-old man was rescued by firefighters from one of the other flats in the building. He was handed over to the care of paramedics and taken to Southport Hospital for a precautionary check. Two fire appliances from Southport Community Fire Station were called out along with a fire appliance from Formby Community Fire Station. Firefighters left the scene just after 6pm. It is believed that the fire was started accidentally and may have been caused by discarded smoking materials in a bin. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service offers general safety advice to help prevent fires involving smoking materials. Watch Manager Wayne Woods said: “People are urged to ensure smoking materials are properly extinguished and are advised to use a proper ashtray. Lit cigarettes and other smoking materials should never be placed in a waste bin. “Working smoke alarms can give a vital early warning to a fire. People should have smoke alarms fitted on each level of their home and are advised to test them regularly.” Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07581350321 or 07930717137 Email [email protected] Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_news Facebook www.facebook.com/otsnews.co.uk Instagram www.instagram.com/otsnews Related Comments comments!