Southport Snooker League results 7/12/2014

1st Division…

Waddington Cons got their best result of the season so far when beating league leaders Mere Brow 4-2, and so inflicting the first loss of the season to their visitors. The Waddy got off to the best possible start when Gary Flynn and Alan Tomlin won the opening frames to put them 2-0 up. Gary, who has only lost once at home this season, beat Andy O’Hara 54-35, while Alan snook past Martin Brown 58-50 to give Martin only his 2nd defeat of the year. The middle frames also went the way of the home side, only just mind, when Paul Wilson beat Danny Jassi 54-44 and Paul Taylor edging past Jack Wilby on the black 51-47. With Mere Brow now 4-0 down, something I doubt has happened to them in a very long time, it was down to John Greenwood and Andy Booth to get something positive out of the night as Billy Evans and Ally Iddon stood in their way. Both John and Andy made 30 breaks in their matches to claw back two much needed points on the night. It was the first time that this Waddy side had beaten this team either under the banner of Mere Brow or even the old Snooker Centre side, and just shows how big a win it was for them. The Waddy go to Churchtown this week while Mere Brow will be looking to take Argyle to the cleaners when they meet at the Brew.

With news travelling to 2nd placed Tarleton BCA on the night that their rivals were struggling it meant that a good win for them against Argyle was imperative. This they did with a 4-2 win over the tennis club, closing the gap between themselves and Mere Brow to only 3 points. However things didn’t start well for Tarleton as Ste Forshaw beat Chris Gill 52-40 when doubling the pink into the middle pocket, but John Nelson beat Brain Jarrett comfortably to level things up. Colin Coffey had no answer to Ste Harrison to see the visitors go 2-1 up and to try and get that important away win. With Argyle only fielding 5 players it meant that a win against Argyle’s top player Paddy Tyndall next would give Tarleton a real boost. But Rob Iddon could not stop Paddy from improving his record to 8 wins from 10 played as he lost 72-15. Marcus Jackson earned his side the win after defeating Ryan Curry, but only after Ryan had forced his way back into the frame, to only stick up an easy pink for his opponent to pot.

The form team in the league right now are Fleetwood Hesketh A as they smashed Banks A 5-1 last week. Gareth Hibbott, who else, was on form again making an 81 break in his match against Andrew Bridge, as Gavin Douglas at last found a bit of form to defeat Andy Hardisty 69-44 and put the Hesketh side 2-0 up. Alan Sutton could not stop Dean Oliver in his frame but Trevor Wetton beat Ste Crane to give the home side a little bit of relief. This was soon to become Fleetwood’s second 5-1 win on the trot as Neil Rimmer made short work of Roy Cookson beating him 76 points to 5 and Stuart Evans completed the rout with a fine win over Andrew Bintcliffe 58-43. This was Banks’ first defeat in five, and see’s them stay in 8th in the league. For Fleetwood it closes the gap between them and the top two, though they are 8 points behind the leaders.

After drawing their previous four matches Southport & Birkdale cc got their first win of the season, a 4-2 victory, in their trip to play the Tarleton BC B team. John Gautrey managed to get past Barney Newton 53-45 but Paul Parker won his fourth match on the trot to defeat Ray Forshaw 58-33. The middle frames were shared when Tony Milner beat Andy Marsden while Tarleton’s Ian Gautrey got his highest break of the season so far, a 47, when shutting out Tom Palmer 85-0. The Cricket club’s best two players this year, Dave Palmer & Russ Thornley, took the remaining last frames to earn their side that first league win of the season after beating Ste Gautrey and Neil Rigden.

Unlike the Cricket club Mere Brow B continued to search for their first win of the season after they lost 4-2 to Tarleton BC C. In the opening frames Peter Haslem scraped past Dale Roberts on the final black 40-36 while David Forshaw was a wide margin winner over Jimmy Jones 74-5. The middle frames saw the frame of the night with Matthew Greenwood sinking the final black to get past Shaun Fisher 76-69 as Dean Bond ending a run of three consecutive defeats when beating Crabtree senior. As with last week Mere Brow lost the final pairings again as Harvey Webster and Paul Crabtree junior could do nothing to stop Mark Rollins and Phil Keep from claiming the win and four points on the night.

Churchtown Cons slipped to second from bottom in the table after only managing to get a 3-3 draw with Birkdale Cons, even though they went 3-1 up. Colin Boston found some of his early season form to beat Les Sullivan 70-20 helped with breaks of 31 & 25, and Craig Rice beat Mick Wardle on the final colours in his match. Two breaks in the 20’s saw Les Prescott beat Phil Fitzgerald and Ricky Webb continued his good from beating Dave Harwood 71-53. With Churchtown 3-1 up it was left to the visitors to make the draw as both Ronnie Brooks and John Melvin made of most of their chances to gain two valuable frame wins and so share the points.

2nd Division…

Honours were shared 3 a piece in the top match of the division last week when 1st placed Waddington Cons took on 2nd placed Les Dodd’s B. But the home side will be thinking that they let the Waddy off the hook a little after taking a 3-1 lead only to lose the last two frames. Lee Holmes scored over 100 points in his frame for the second consecutive week as he stuffed Alan Ashworth 104-11 with Dave Mills also scoring high for a 71-57 points victory over Phil Gaskell. With Andy Reynolds beating Andy Linaker, the Waddy where grateful for Phil Kitchen winning the fourth frame 47-55 against Peter Parkinson and so avoid a potential 4-0 score line. With the Waddy putting their best two players this season on last, Steve Cobb and Ray Highton, they had to deliver to avoid their first defeat of the season. Even though Paul Rogers had a 25 break it could not stop Steve Cobb from completing a 73-42 frame win, with Ray following him up with a 63-39 victory over Joe Wade. Honours shared as both teams fight for top place in the division.

Third placed Banks C gained a point on the top two after beating Bretherton A 4-2 at home last week. Martin Sephton stormed his way to an impressive 94 points to 25 victory over Paul Varney in the opener, as Colin Peet replied for the Railway beating Cliff Arnold 54-44 to level up the frames 1-1. It was still level pegging going into the last pairings with John Prescott winning for the home side and Eddy Cracknell getting one back for the Rail to see a 2-2 score line. In the last pairings Alan Johnson returned to winning ways comfortably beating John O’Malley 53-9 as Arthur Wareing won his first frame of the season 55-51 to give Banks a much needed win.

Christmas came early for Our Lady’s as they won 5-1 against Les Dodd’s A for only the second time this season. The ever youthful Tommy Tickle set the ball rolling with a 58-25 win against Karl Bellmon, as Paul Heery could do nothing to stop Alan Harley from completing a 75-42 victory over him. With Keith Turner wining on the black 57-52 against Martin Matthews and Luke Marshall gaining a good win over Graham Marshall, the Formby side had played well for a deserved 3-1 lead. When Alan Parker and Michael Houghton completed the job of winning both the last two frames Our Lady’s would jump up off the bottom of the table to sit in 6th overall.

Bretherton A scored their 4th win of the season when defeating Banks B 4-2 last week. With the opening frames shared after Ron Dickinson beat Bob Ashcroft and John E Gearie replied for Banks it was the middle pairings that made the difference. Top stick for Bretherton, Dave Cottam, beat Michael Marsh in a low scoring frame 43-19 with Gordon Russell turning over Banks’ top stick so far this year Andy Griffiths 59-24 to give control of the match to the home side. The win was only completed after Jim Holden beat Dave Turner in another close game 37-29.

Scarisbrick A completed a 4-2 win over Churchtown Cons B to leave them sat at the bottom of the division last week. Even though Churchtown have not won a match this year they only sit some two points off 5th placed team Banks B. The opening frames could have gone either way as Paul Connor only won by 6 points over Peter Fenwick and David Wright beat Guy Hudson by only 3 points. With regulation wins for Norman Hallsworth and Jamie Barton, the frames were sat at 2 apiece going into the final frames where home advantage took over. Chris Starkie put pay to the efforts from Lawrence Richards beating him 66-20 as did Paul Horner who beat Colin Tennant 62-17. Churchtown will be hoping for a change in fortune when they entertain the league leaders Waddy B, while Scarisbrick hope to stop Our Lady’s after their big win last week.

3rd Division…

Bretherton B cruised to a full house 6-0 win over Waddington Cons C to regain top spot in the division last week as the Waddy fell to their first whitewash of the season. Bretherton have yet to taste defeat away from home this year, but this was their biggest win on their travels so far. The Moulton’s Simon and William continued to impress with wins over Max Riley and Keith Edgerley which paved the way for Stephen Fiddler and Phil Iddon to go into their frames with confidence after a great start. That 2-0 soon became 4-0 to which ended up being the full house of 6 when John Gornall and Alan Venable’s matched each other with 61-31 points victories over Vince Langford and Stefan Whyte. Bretherton face 3rd placed Churchtown D next week before the Christmas break with the Waddy hoping for better things when they go to play Churchtown Cons C.

With Bretherton winning big it was imperative that Birkdale Cons B stay in touch with them but it wasn’t to be as they got turned over big time 5-1 away to Churchtown Cons D. The Churchtown players outplayed their opponents, outscoring them 326-165 in the total aggregate with only Reg Dobson offering any resistance on the night. Dave Quinn and Mike Pickles got the home team off to a flyer when beating Peter Wilding and David Robinson to help set the tone of the match going 2-0 up. That score line was to be doubled after the middle pairings as Russ Walsh and Al Graham saw off the challenges of Charlie Turner and John Stringfellow. With Steve Mentha beating John Warnick 46-21 it was left to Billy Pye to try and gain the full set of 6 if he could get passed Reg Dobson. Even with the help of a 23 break in his frame, he could not stop Reg claiming a point for his Birkdale side when winning on the final black 56-46.

Southport Cons did their title hopes the world of good when beating bottom of the division Banks D 6-0 and so move to within 2 points of Birkdale Cons in 2nd place. Star performance on the night came from Steve Mawdsley who played very impressively beating Gerry Stone 83-12, in which he increased the ‘High Break’ target to 41 in his frame. Jeff Wainwright completed the opening frames victories when beating Barry Foster 89-20. Two nil soon became 4-0 as Tony Coakley, who did hold the division’s high break of 37 until Steve Mawdsley improved it, could do nothing to stop Matty Pollock getting his 7th league win of the year. With Larry Swindells completed the full house win by beating Darren McDonnell. With only 4 players turning up it is going to be one long season for Banks, but the Batch street club can look forward to challenging for the title if they keep this form up.

Birkdale Cons C gained their third home win of the season after beating St. Teresa’s B 4-2 last week. The two sides sit side by side in the league table and it showed in the opening frames as Phil Horan got a vital win by 1 point over Norman Lee 48-47 with Frank Murphy only losing to Aiden Quinn 33-46 in his match. The middle two frames were shared as Birkdales Martin Calvert beat Dave Andrews in a tight match 45-37 with Mike Langford for Teresa’s beating Ted Coghlan 51-33. But it was the Con club who took the remaining two frames on the night as Paul Rimmer and Andy Day beat Ted Weir and John McGee to see them win their 3rd match out of their last 4 matches.

Les Dodd’s C missed out on a potential 7th win of the season after only drawing 3-3 with Fleetwood Hesketh C. After going 3-1 up, Les Dodd’s had to give one of the last frames away due to a absent player and so lose ground near the top of the table. Danny Clegg and Kyle Woodfull got Doddy’s off to a flyer when they beat Phil Marrow and Mark Beaver with Martin Cusack gaining the 3rd win in beating Brian Kimberley. Terry Gowland saw off the attentions of Kevin Woodfull which left Ian Brownhill to win his match with Wayne Pudge to snatch a draw away from their one-time Hesketh opponents. With Ian beating Wayne 65-24 it saw the points shared with the home side feeling like they got out of jail a bit, with Les Dodd’s wishing they had turned up with 6.

Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07581350321  or 07930717137