Southport Past (OTS News) Radio Yellow Top Taxis 1959
Radio Yellow Top Taxi firm started in 1959 with seven cabs and quickly grew to 14. In 2013 they have around 50.
The office started out on Hoghton Street, then moved to Lord Street and in 1985 moved to where they are now on Sussex Road, Southport.
John Whiteside is the current owner of Southport oldest radio taxi firm.
In 2009 Yellow Top paid for one of its fleet to be re-sprayed in the colours the cars originally sported in the 1950s to mark its 50th anniversary.
Photograph above shows the new fleet of taxis in 1959 on what is now Sandown Court, opposite Southport Fire Station.
ABOVE: Office girls in 1960
ABOVE: A Raffle draw 1960
ABOVE: A fleet of taxis in Park Road outside Hesketh Park in 1960
ABOVE: Staff party at The Royal Clifton in 1960
ABOVE: Staff night out in 1961
ABOVE: Radio Yellow Top Taxi Office, Sussex Road, Southport 2013
Please email in your old photographs of Southport to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click PAST tab in main OTS navigation bar to see more photographs of Southport past!