RESULT Southport 2 Gateshead 1

Karl Ledsham scored three minutes before full-time as Southport earned their first home win of the season against Gateshead.

Shaun Whalley put the Sandgrounders head on 70 minutes but Josh Gillies equalised for the visitors. Ledsham scored the winning goal late on to lift Southport up to 15th place in the Blue Square Premier table.

Gateshead dominated the game and they created several chances in the first-half.

Micky Cummings had a shot blocked on the line by James Smith and then Carl Magney was denied by keeper Tony McMillan after a corner from Gillies.

Gateshead continued to create chances and Southport had McMillan to thank again when he made a great save from Yemi Odubade’s shot.

Southport had two chances in the first-half and both of them were missed by Ledsham. He headed the ball wide after a cross from Andy Parry and Ledsham missed with a header again from close range shortly before half-time.

Gateshead came out strongly in the second-half and Nathan Fisher went close when his shot whistled past the post. McMillan then made another good save to keep out Odubade’s shot.

Southport took the lead against the run of play on 70 minutes when Whalley brought the ball in from the right and he slotted it past keeper Adam Barlett.

The visitors went down the other end and equalised straight away when Gillies had a shot that as deflected past McMillan.

Ledsham scored the winning goal for the Sandgrounders on 87 minutes when he fired the ball home from inside the area after a great cross from Russell Benjamin.



01 McMillan 02 Smith 03 Lever 05 Parry 06 Grand 17 Lynch 07 Whalley (Benjamin – 80′ ) 08 Ledsham 22 Poku 10 Gray (Tames – 80′ )
19 Bakare

Substitutes 13 Nemes 14 Barnes 12 Benjamin 15 Chalmers 18 Tames


01 Bartlett 02 Magney 03 Boyle 06 Clark 16 Bush 04 Chandler Booked 07 Gillies 08 Turnbull 11 Cummins (McGorrigan – 75′ )
0 Odubade 12 Fisher (Marwood – 66′ )

Substitutes 19 Nixon 17 Wilson 15 Marwood 28 Ramshaw 32 McGorrigan

Ref: Whiteley

Att: 686