REPORT | Disappointment At Home

Southport slipped to a fourth straight defeat as Kieran Green and Jordan Burrow struck either side of half-time to secure maximum points from York City.

Despite the scoreline, this was a much-improved performance from the Port, whose squad continues to be hit by injury and illness.

There was plenty of endeavor from Liam Watson’s side, who can consider themselves unfortunate not to have found the scorehseet.

The home team created a number of chances in the first half and should have equalized shortly before York added their second after half-time.

With Dean Winnard added to the number of absentees over the festive period, Port squad will look to make the most of their full week’s break before visiting AFC Fylde in the Buildbase FA Trophy.

York went ahead on 34 minutes, Kieran Green nudging in a corner from Kallum Griffiths.

Southport had given a good account of themselves during the first period and the goal came against the run of play.

Jack Sampson and Brad Bauress had chances during the early stages, before Raul Correia shot wide after a smart turn and volley from 25 yards.

Charlie Albinson made a good early save from Alex Kempster, who also got behind the Port defence once the visitors had taken the lead but the keeper produced a fine low stop.

Southport had golden chance to equalise shortly after the break as Bauress knocked the ball back across the face of goal but Correia was unable to capitalise.

Within minutes, the visitors had extended their lead, Sean Newton releasing Paddy McLaughlin, whose pass set Burrow free on goal to score.

The lack of a cutting edge was evident again for the Port when a free-kick from Bauress was headed back at the far post by Sampson and George Newell’s effort was scrambled off the goal-lie.

York closed out the game with an air of authority, Albinson saving well with his feet from Kempster late in the game.

Southport: Albinson, Oliver, Ogle, Mohammed, Astles, Morgan, Benjamin, Green, Corria (Newell 59), Sampson, Bauress (Wood 79).

Subs not used: Hanford, Woods, Homson-Smith.

York City: Jameson, Griffiths, Ferguson, Newton, McNulty, Tait, Moke, McLaughlin, Burrow, Green, Kempster (Langstaff 76).

Subs not used: Bond, Durrell, King, Whitley.

Referee: David McNamara

Attendance: 1,144