Southport recorded their first win in over a month as Connor Woods bagged a hat-trick in a 4-1 victory over Pilkington.

The victory at Ruskin Drive sees Liam Watson’s side progress in the Liverpool CFA Senior Cup.

It wasn’t all plain sailing, with the Pilks missing an opportunity to come from two behind in second half; before the Sandgrounders went on to strengthen their lead.

In the early stages of the game, the Port looked to take the initiative with an early goal, with David Morgan having a long ranged effort deflected over the bar.

A few moments later the Port skipper tried his luck again, with Pilks keeper, Bobby Jones, getting down well to push the ball past the left post.

The home side also had chances of their in the opening exchanges, causing some threat to the Sandgrounders back line.

Their were calls for a penalty after Charlie Albinson appeared to take down a Pilkington attacker, but the referee waved any protests away.

Down the other end, Morgan continued to try to break the deadlock with further attempts of his own, but once again the keeper was able to stop.

Then just before the half hour mark, the Port broke the deadlock, as the ball fell to Connor Woods in the box, with the winger blasting past the keeper to make it 1-0.

A few minutes later, Jack Sampson attempted to add a second, but his shot on the edge of the area was caught by Jones.

The Port lead was doubled not long after, as Woods bagged his second of the evening in the 33rd minute, slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

Just before half time, the Pilks keeper was called into action once again, as Sampson played through George Newell with a great pass, but the striker couldn’t add his name to the scoresheet.

Only a minute into the second half, the home side pulled one back, as Callum Laird put the ball past Albinson to make it 1-2.

A few minutes later Pilkington were given a golden chance to level the scores, as they were awarded a penalty.

Fortunately for the Port, Albinson stepped up to save the spot kick from Laird down to his right.

The home side were left to rue that miss, as moments later Southport were on the attack once again, with Sampson laying off Woods in the box, and the winger smashing the ball into the top corner to claim his hat trick, making it 1-3.

Southport’s lead was extended even further in the 58th minute, as Newell scored his second goal of the week, as he made it 1-4.

Pilkington didn’t let their heads drop, as they continued to search for another goal, with Luke Sephton coming close with a spectacle effort from the wing.

Meanwhile Woods could’ve had a fourth, but skied a one v one with the keeper.

Neither side were able to add any more in the foggy conditions, as the Port finally returned to winning ways with the 4-1 cup win.

Written by Amos Wynn