Andi Thanoj got a double as Southport slipped to a 1-3 defeat against Boston United at the Pure Stadium.

The Pilgrims’ midfielder scored either side of half time, as the poor run of form continues for Liam Watson’s side, who are now without a win in their last five league games.

Despite George Newell scoring a late goal, it was not enough to stop the rot, as the Pilgrims re-extended their lead minutes later.

The Port did start off brightly with a few half chances, with Reagan Ogle having the first floating a header wide of the target.

A few minutes later Sampson had the first effort on target of the afternoon, as a stuck a ball straight into the arms of Peter Crook, who made an easy save.


Liam Watson’s side continued to apply pressure in the opening ten minutes, as Devarn Green nearly caught the keeper out with a cross, with Boston captain Luke Shiels heading the ball out of danger on the line.


Down the other end, Sheils had the Pilgrim’s first chance of the match, as he headed just wide from a corner.


Boston’s top scorer this season, Dominic Knowles, also had the chance to open the scoring, but put his effort just wide of the near post, as the space opened up for him.


Both teams continued to create chances, with George Newell trying his luck from distance on the right side for Port, whilst Andi Thanoj came very close from a headed effort from a corner.


Just after the half hour mark, Zehn Mohammad came agonisingly close to giving the Port the lead, as his half volley in the box went just past the left post.


Just before the break, the deadlock was broken as Boston took the lead, as Thanoj left Charlie Albinson rooted to the spot with a well taken free-kick, which he won himself after a foul from already booked David Morgan on the edge of the box.


That strike saw the visitors head into the break with a 0-1 advantage.


In the second half, Watson’s side had two early chances to level the scores, with the keeper making a superb double save, first stopping Green’s initial effort on the break; before somehow denying Jack Sampson on the rebound, when it looked like a certain goal.

Like Morgan in the first half, Boston’s Alex Whittle was also playing a dangerous game, as he risked a second yellow card with a late challenge on the Port captain.

The Pilgrims doubled their lead in the 59th minute, as Thanoj got his second with the looping header past Albinson into the top left corner.

Things nearly got worse for the Port, as Mohammed was lucky to escape with only a yellow card, after bringing down Jordan Thewlis who would’ve been through on goal.

From the resulting free-kick, Thanoj came close to getting a hattrick as he put an attempt just wide, as score remained 0-2.

Moments later, Albinson was forced into an excellent save, punching away a long-ranged effort from Tom Platt.

As frustrations began to grow for the Port, Newell tried his luck from distance after seeing the keeper off his line, unfortunately he dragged it wide of the target.

With ten minutes left on the clock, the Port pulled one back, as George Newell headed in from a long throw in to make it 1-2.

The visitors had a chance to re-extend their lead, with a mis-guided header by Dominic Knowles falling to Woolford, who blasted the ball well over the bear.

With minutes left on the clock, the Pilgrims secured their victory as Luke Shiels made it 1-3.

Mohammed did have a chance to pull another one back for the Port, but his header was caught by Crook as the game finished 1-3.

Southport FC: Charlie Albinson, Zehn Mohammed, Reagan Ogle, Charlie Oliver, Ryan Astles, David Morgan, Russell Benjamin, Devarn Green (77’), George Newell, Jack Sampson, Brad Bauress (79’).

Substitutes: Connor Woods (77’), Morgan Homson-Smith (79’)

Unused subs: Andy Parry, Dean Winnard.

Goal: Newell (79’)

Yellow Cards: Morgan (25’), Mohammed (62’)

Boston United: Peter Crook, Alex Penny, Alex Whittle, Tom Platt, Scott Garner, Luke Shiels, Andi Thanojn (90’), Brad Abbott, Dominic Knowles, Jordan Thewlis, Martyn Woolford.

Substitutes: Jonathan Wafula (90’).

Unused subs: Jay Rollins, George Willis, Simon Ainge, Ashley Jackson.

Goal: Thanoj (44’)

Yellow Cards: Whittle (39’)

Attendance: 883