Photo: Failing Care Home Southview Lodge on Station Road in Hesketh Bank
A care home has been told to make a series of improvements after failing four out of five key assessment targets.
Inspectors from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) made an unannounced visit to Southview Lodge in Station Road, Hesketh Bank, and deemed it was not always safe, not always effective, not always responsive and not always well-led.
Owner Thomas Blane has acknowleged the report and said:
recommendations were being taken onboard, after inspectors found “a significant number of breaches” of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2010.
Issues highlighted include:
– The provider had not ensured the CQC was notified when significant events happened at the home, such as injuries to people
– Some equipment had not been thoroughly cleaned and some areas of the home needed maintenance to ensure they were safe.
– The home had not employed an activities co-ordinator and residents said there were not many meaningful activities provided
– Staff did not fully understand their responsibilities of care and treatment in line with the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
– Staff were not given regular supervision
But some positives were also noted, including staff feeling well supported, safe practices for managing medicines and residents feeling safe.
Mr Blane quoted:
“The care we offer is second to none and we’re constantly making investments into the home.
“I’ve just spent £20,000 transforming the garden for people with dementia with fountains and everything.
“But we will be taking on board what the inspectors have said.”
Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07581350321
Breaking local news as it happens, searchable archives with photographs, the ability to instantly comment on news articles – there are so many advantages to OTS (Onthespot) News.
If you want your news read locally online then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org – relying only on the newspaper is to restrict yourself to an ever reducing audience.