Fisherman’s Path crossing closed after cyclist was nearly hit by a train

Fisherman’s Path Level Crossing is completely fenced off and closed for at least 3 weeks

Furious dog walkers say Network Rail are on track for receiving a ton of complaint letters after they closed off the popular fisherman’s path crossing.
The closure means there is no alternative route for people to access the public trail linking Ainsdale to Formby and a lack of notifications warning dog walkers of this mean they only realise their predicament when its too late.
They have to walk an exhausting three miles before they find the path closed. Alternate routes suggested by Network Rail are also closed off due to the ongoing Open golf tournament, leading to many walkers and ramblers becoming injured when they inadvertently try to jump the barrier stopping them from crossing through the alternate route.

Person hit by train at the Fisherman’s Path crossing was 42-year-old man

The person hit by a train in Freshfields yesterday was a 42-year-old man, British Transport Police (BTP) confirmed.

The man died at the scene and BTP have confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances.

Officers were called to the scene, at the notorious Fisherman’s Crossing, at around 4.45pm.

A BTP spokesperson said: “We were called to the line between Freshfield and Ainsdale to reports that a person had been struck by a train.

Officers attended the incident at around 4.45pm.

Paramedics also attended but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident is being treated as none suspicious.

A file will be prepared for the coroner.”

Passengers on the train, travelling from Southport to Liverpool, said they had to remain on the train for almost two hours while the incident was dealt.

Nathan Hutchinson, who was on his way to work at Pizza Express in Formby told “It was just awful.

We heard a bang and then the train stopped. It was obvious we had hit something. We had to sit and wait on the train so we could see what was happening outside.”

The tragedy caused heavy delays for rail users throughout the evening with huge crowds left waiting at stations along the line at the height of rush hour.

A spokesman for Merseyrail confirmed the incident happened at Fisherman’s Path crossing in the Freshfield area.