Photo: RTC Hart Street
UPDATE: Kalnins jailed after killing pensioner who was knocked from motorbike
44-year-old Andris Kalnins of Bath Street, Southport, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving and was jailed for six months and banned from driving for two years three months.
Judge Aubrey, passing sentence, said: “The court accepts you are remorseful. At the scene you were less so, but the court accepts you are contrite once you had realised the enormity of that for which you were responsible.”
But Judge Aubrey said he could not be swayed by pleas for mercy and the circumstances of the offence meant he had to send Kalnins to prison.
Kalnins was also banned from driving for two years and three months.
UPDATE: Southport man in court charged with causing death by careless driving
44-year-old Andris Kalnins was in court to face a charge of causing death by careless driving after the tragedy in which 73-year-old Raymond Mills died.
73-year-old Mr Mills died following a crash on June 29 last year at the junction between Hart Street and Oak Street in Southport.
Mr Millswas riding a Honda motorbike which was involved in a collision with the side of a silver BMW driven by Kalnins.
Andris Kalnins entered no plea to the charge, (Speaking through a Latvian interpreter)
The case is scheduled to Liverpool Crown Court where Kalnins is next due to appear on the 10th August for a pre-trial hearing.
He was released on unconditional bail.
Dead man named as Raymond Mills (June 29 2015)
Merseyside Police can confirm the man who died in a road traffic collision in Southport today was Raymond Mills, 73, from Southport.
His next of kin have been informed.
Merseyside Police can confirm a man has died following a serious road traffic collision in Southport this afternoon (Monday, 29 June).
Emergency services were called to Hart Street, at its junction with Oak Street, at about 4.20pm to reports a Honda motorcycle and a silver BMW car had been in collision.
The male motorcyclist was taken to hospital but later died from his injuries.
The man, believed to be in his 70s, is yet to be formally identified and officers are in the process of informing his next of kin. At this time, part of the junction remains closed and motorists are urged to avoid the area.
The driver of the car, a 43-year-old man from Southport, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.
Officers would ask anyone who was in the area at the time who may have witnessed this incident to contact MSOC Roads Policing Officers on 0151 777 5747 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Photo: RTC Hart Street
Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07581350321
Breaking local news as it happens, searchable archives with photographs, the ability to instantly comment on news articles – there are so many advantages to OTS (Onthespot) News.
If you want your news read locally online then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org – relying only on the newspaper is to restrict yourself to an ever reducing audience.