A Permit Scheme is in place at Merseyside’s Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) people using commercial-type vehicles such as vans.

A Permit is not needed for cars or for trailers less than 2 metres in length (not including the tow bar)

then you will need to apply for a Permit. Please read the following descriptions for vehicles that require a permit: If you’re planning to use a van or large trailer to access a HWRC in any of these areas
• A van
• An estate, hatchback, 4×4 or car with rear seats removed and or permanently blanked out side/rear windows
• Any ‘flatback’ or pick-up vehicle
• A trailer between 2 and 3 metres long

Also, vehicles above 3.5t gross vehicle weight, and vehicles with trailers which are longer than 3 metres are not allowed to access a HWRC.

Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority collects personal information to enable applications for permits to be completed. We reserve the right to use this information and any other details provided to reviewPrivacy Notice

the Authority’s Household Waste Recycling Centre Access Policy Permit Scheme, site usage and to prevent misuse of the Authority’s Household Waste Recycling Centres.

A full explanation of the type of data you will be required to provide and how it is used or shared can be found here:

Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority Permit Scheme Privacy Notice

Commercial Vehicle Permit Scheme – How We Manage Your Information (This is a PDF document)

Different Types of Permit

There are two types of Permit:

Annual Permit – this is required when you are delivering recyclable items of waste from your household, such as garden clippings, newspapers, magazines, glass bottles, textiles, small electrical appliances, cardboard,

cans, batteries and oil etc. These Permits are valid for an unlimited number of visits to a Recycling Centre over a 12 month period.

Temporary Permit – this is required when you want to deliver bulky household waste such as furniture, rubble, scrap, televisions, white goods and wood. Up to 12 visits using a Temporary Permit can be made in a 12 month period. Temporary Permits can be issued for single visits when using a borrowed or hired vehicle or for 12 visits when using your own vehicle. With this type of Permit you can only deposit bulky household items (furniture etc), rubble and hardcore, scrap metal (such as washing machines, fridges etc), televisions and monitors, and wood (garden fences etc)

How long does it take to get a Permit?

We will issue your Permit via second class post – the Post Office aim to deliver second class post within three days.

What if I’m using a hired van?

You will still need to apply for a Permit. In addition, please bring the van hire agreement when you arrive at the Recycling Centre.

Why have you started a Permit Scheme?

The Household Waste Recycling Centres in Merseyside are just that – they are for household waste. But, often commercial businesses and traders attempt to use these facilities for free, which is illegal.

Click here to download our Permit Scheme leaflet (PDF – 205kb)

Trade and Commercial Waste

Trade and commercial waste is the responsibility of the trader and commercial operator producing the waste, this includes any trade premises and small business. Merseyside’s Household Waste Recycling Centres are for householders to

deposit their own waste. Trade and Commercial waste will not be accepted.

Those looking to dispose of trade waste may want to contact the Environment Agency which can offer advice:

Environment Agency
T: 08708 506 506
W: www.environment-agency.gov.uk


Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07581350321 or 07930717137

Email ots@otsnews.co.uk

Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_new

Facebook www.facebook.com/otsnews.co.uk

Instagram www.instagram.com/otsnews