David Morgan scored a dramatic stoppage-time winner as Southport recovered a two-goal deficit to progress in the Buildbase FA Trophy at Colne.

Having seen Devarn Green reduce the arrears before half-time and substitute Brad Bauress level the score, the tie looked to be heading to extra time until Morgan’s late strike.

An upset appeared on the cards with two goals in quick succession for the Colne, from the Bet Victor North West Division, but the Port overcame doughty opposition and difficult conditions to claim the wun.

The Port started the game kicking down the significant slope at the Sovereign Play Stadium and it was an open start.

The hosts had the best early chance, goalkeeper Charlie Albinson beating out a fierce shot from Sefton Gonzalez after good approach play.

Colne showed their ability to produce some good attacking football in the opening stages, Albinson saving an earlier shot from Aidan Chippendale, while for the Port, a 20-yard drive from Marcus Wood went just past the post after receiving the ball from Jack Doyle.

At that stage, it seemed that the Port were starting to influence more of the play, Connor Woods sending in a hanging cross which Zehn Mohammed connected with but goalkeeper Burton was able to save.

Southport’s best chance of the half fell to Green on 25 minutes. A left-wing free-kick from Connor Woods was flicked on by Ryan Astles before the ball fell to Green at the far post but he was unable to capitalise.

Yet the home team went in at the break with a lead after two quickfire goals shortly before half-time.

Chippendale found the bottom left-hand corner with an angled free-kick before dangerman Gonzales increased the leads, converting a throw-in from Lee Pugh.

There was still time before the interval for Green to halve the deficit with a fine finish to continue his own strong run of goalscoring form.

Southport dominated the play after the break ting possession into chances proved difficult against a Cole side who defended well.

A double substitution with 30 minutes remaining helped provide the Port with more of a cutting edge, Bauress and Raul Correia bringing more bite to the strikeforce.

It was Bauress who equalised, converting a header at the far post after a cross into the box from Green.

And the Port continued t press for a winner, Morgan shotting into the side netting and Ryan Astles going close before the captain claimed with win, after a touch from Green to finish a sweeping team move.

Southport: Albinson, Mohammed, Doyle, Winnard, Astles, Morgan, Benjamin, Wood (Bauress 59), Green, Sampson, Woods (Correia 59).
Subs not used: Hanford, Glynn, Oliver.

Colne: Burton, Pscha, Pugh, Coveney, Hollins, Makinson, Donaldson (Azam 58), Hughes, Gonzales, Harris, Chippendale.
Subs not used: Coleman, Lynch, Hasler-Cregg, Hazledine.

Referee: Adam Herczeg