MATCH REPORT | Burscough 1-3 Bamber Bridge

29th January 2017

Burscough 1-3 Bamber Bridge

Burscough Football Club missed yet another chance to close the gap on Goole AFC as they attempt to salvage a miserable season.

The Linnets were still missing inspirational captain Anthony Shinks through injury but welcomed a new signing in Adam Gilchrist. The former Aston Athletic striker signed late on Friday evening which meant manager Keith McCann was able to use him for selection.

Prior to kick-off a minute’s silence was held in memory of Steve Hill. The former Burscough coach and assistant manager sadly passed away on Sunday morning. Both teams, officials and fans payed their respects to the local football icon and everyone from Burscough Football Club offer our sincere condolences to Steve’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Burscough got the game underway in difficult conditions, heavy rain had persisted earlier in the day and continued throughout the game. Making the pitch wet and very muddy in places.

It was the visitors who went closest to taking the lead. Bamber looked dangerous every time they got a corner. Fortunately for Burscough, Reece McNally was on the line to clear the ball away.

Burscough were forced to make an early change just before the half hour mark as Mamoke Akaunu picked up a knock. Kevin Lettany took his place on the right wing.

Not Long after the hosts were 1-0 up. Bamber Bridge were on the attack but had committed to many men forward. Linnets striker Elliot Nevitt led them into a counter attack and eventually found Phil Bannister who looped a right footed strike from the edge of the box over Brig ‘keeper Steve James.

Bamber Bridge had another golden opportunity to score but yet again Reece McNally was on the line to keep the ball out.

Not long into the second half and the scores were level. Aaron Fleming was given far too much space out on the left hand side and the pacey winger made no mistake in slotting the ball home from inside the 18-yard box.

From then on it was pretty much dominated by Bamber Bridge as they went in search for a winner. Burscough players seemed to drop their heads and tire heading into the last twenty minutes.

As Burscough dropped off to defend the draw Bamber were able to commit bodies forward and at times the pace of their left and right back appeared to be too much for the hosts to handle.

The visitors then took the lead on the 83rd minute as Burscough conceded again from a corner. This time Phil Doughty was the scorer. This was a sucker punch for Burscough, it’s not often they take the lead in a game and the players gave it their all.

To add salt in the wounds Bamber made it 3-1 deep into stoppage time. The Linnets had committed men forward as they looked to level the game but carelessly gave the ball away. Regan Linney ran some 30 yards before his strike from 18 yards was fumbled into the goal by Burscough ‘Keeper Riche Mottram to complete what was a miserable day all round.

On reflection 3-1 seems a little harsh on Burscough but the last two defeats show they just need to be more clinical in front of goal.

Keith McCann still has plenty of time to rescue The Linnets and the next two games versus Glossop and Goole are perfect opportunities to do so.

Ross Chandley


Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07581350321




Breaking local news as it happens, searchable archives with photographs, the ability to instantly comment on news articles – there are so many advantages to OTS (Onthespot) News.

If you want your news read locally online then send it to – relying only on the newspaper is to restrict yourself to an ever reducing audience.