Firefighters Extinguish Fire After Flames Spread From Hearth To Books And Bedding At House With No Smoke Alarms In Southport

Firefighters extinguished a fire which had spread from a bedroom hearth in a house which had no smoke alarms to books and bedding.   Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 11.03pm on Wednesday, February 6, to Lord Street, Southport.

An elderly man was treated for suspected smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene. The man was taken to Southport and Formby District General Hospital.

Two high pressure hoses were used to extinguish the fire. Firefighters also conducted a search of the property to make sure no-one was inside. The fire was extinguished by 11.30pm.   Watch Manager Tony Curtis, who is with Blue Watch at Southport Community Fire Station and attended the call-out, said: “The fire was in a grate on the first floor. The fire had spread to some nearby bedding and books. Open fires should be monitored with guards across them.

People should only burn fuels that are fit for purpose and not put too many combustibles on the fire.   “We also advise that people have working smoke alarms on each level of their home. We also encourage people to check on elderly neighbours.”

Firefighters also ventilated the property to clear it of smoke.

One appliance from Southport Community Fire Station and one from Formby Community Fire Station attended the call-out.

Submit News 

Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137   Email   Twitter

Breaking local news as it happens, searchable archives with photographs, the ability to instantly comment on news articles – there are so many advantages to OTS (Onthespot) News.

If you want your news read locally online then send it to – relying only on the newspaper is to restrict yourself to an ever reducing audience.

Onthespot – your online reporter Do you have a story to tell?   Call OTS

Please text or phone 07930717137 or email

Follow OTS (Onthespot) on Twitter