Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Thursday, February 19
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    OTS News – Southport
    • Home
    • Hart Street Tragedy
    • Crime
    • Community
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Contact Us
    • Advertise
    OTS News – Southport

    Hospital apology and decision reversal welcomed but caution still urged by campaigners

    By On The Spot News13th November 2018

    Local residents fighting to retain use of Southport Hospital’s hydrotherapy pool have won an apology and reversal of its closure decision.

    The campaign, which was backed by Labour activists in the town, saw over 700 people sign a petition calling on Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust to think again after it announced it would close the pool to the general public at the end of November.

    The petition featured the story of local MS sufferer Carol Halsall and her husband Rick who rely on the pool to help alleviate problems caused by Carol’s condition. Rick explained:

    “Due to Carol’s condition we need a mixed changing area, accessibility, and a hoist to get her into and out of the pool and we haven’t found anywhere in the area to match these facilities.”

    “The hospital pool is used by lots of local residents with health problems and we were distraught at the thought of losing it. That’s why we got in touch with Southport Labour and Liz Savage, they’ve been a great help and also met with the hospital trust to press our case.”

    Trust Chief Executive Silas Nicholls has now written to the campaigners telling them the decision has been reversed, stating:

    “I appreciate that the communications around the changes to the use of the pool and gym facilities hadn’t been managed as well as we would have wanted them to be. Also, I personally hadn’t considered sufficiently the impact of changes would have on individuals. For this I would like to apologise.”

    “Having reviewed the position I can now confirm our intention to allow existing users of the pool and the gym facilities to continue to have access to our facilities. I have asked for a new timetable to be drawn up and to be circulated.”

    Rick says that the campaigners will now be keeping a keen eye on the new timetable and proposals:

    “We are really grateful for the apology and the reversal of the decision but the devil is often in the detail so we will be poring over the new plans.”

    Liz Savage, Labour’s candidate for Southport, says it’s a cautious welcome but she thinks the trust is listening to the concerns she raised on behalf of the residents:

    “It was obvious from speaking to Silas that he was very concerned by the way the issue had been handled and the impact on residents. I think it shows the decency of the hospital trust that they have been prepared to listen to us and the residents, apologise for the mistakes made and then look at this again.”

    “I hope the new timetable plan will not disappoint and that continued access will improve the quality of life for local residents and help alleviate their health problems.”

    Police charge 34 year old man with kidnap and ABH after Southport man attacked

    17th February 2026

    Ash Street assault leads police to daring motorway kidnap arrest

    17th February 2026

    Editorial | Lightport shows real potential despite limited run-through

    15th February 2026

    Heartbreaking appeal launched after Olaf the goat rushed to surgery

    15th February 2026
    Facebook
    • Home
    • Hart Street Tragedy
    • Crime
    • Community
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Contact Us
    • Advertise
    © 2026 Blowick Publishing Company T/A OTS News

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.