Firefighters Give Oxygen To A Man After Extinguishing Dishwasher Fire in Southport

Firefighters gave oxygen to a man after they were called to a fire involving a dishwasher at a property with no smoke alarms.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 1.44am on Thursday, January 10, to Kensington Road, Southport.   Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose jet to extinguish the fire at the property.   The man given oxygen by firefighters was assessed by paramedics at the scene and taken to Southport and Formby District General Hospital as a precaution.

Around half of the dishwasher in the ground floor kitchen was severely damaged by fire. Round 30% of the kitchen was damaged by fire and heat. There was also smoke damage to the remainder of the property.

Watch Manager Ian Jones, who is with Red Watch at Southport Community Fire Station and attended the call-out, said: “People should not rely on luck to discover a fire and react and escape from the fire. It was by chance the occupier had woken up and discovered the fire. People should have smoke alarms fitted on each level of their homes and close downstairs doors before going to bed to reduce smoke and fire spreading. Smoke alarms give you the vital seconds you need to escape a fire.”

Submit News

Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137   Email   Twitter

Breaking local news as it happens, searchable archives with photographs, the ability to instantly comment on news articles – there are so many advantages to OTS (Onthespot) News.

If you want your news read locally online then send it to – relying only on the newspaper is to restrict yourself to an ever reducing audience.

Onthespot – your online reporter Do you have a story to tell?

Please text or phone 07930717137 or email

Follow OTS (Onthespot) on Twitter