Closure fears as Fryer fire guts popular chippy

7th November 2017

Fire crews have rushed to the Swan chippy after a fire filled the restaurant with acrid black smoke.

Customers and staff were evacuated after a fryer caught ablaze shortly before 1.30pm this afternoon on Stanley Street, Southport.

Nobody was hurt but the restaurant has been forced to close.

One eye witness to the blaze said thick black acrid smoke filled the street leading to fears that people were still trapped inside.

Southport BID Halloween festival huge success

Fire crews remain on the scene and the main bulk of the fire has been extinguished, however it’s thought that severe damage has all but gutted most of the restaurant.

It will be closed until further notice while fire crews and staff assess the damage.