Chocolate Santas recalled after batteries found inside
The Co-op grocery chain has announced a nationwide recall of 165,000 hollow milk chocolate Santa figures after two alleged tampering incidents.
A spokesperson for the Co-op said two of the chocolate figures had been found to contain a small button-cell battery.
“The health and safety of our customers is our top priority,” said the spokesperson, adding that the Co-op was investigating and the police and Food Standards Agency were being notified.
No other products are affected.
It is thought that the tampering took place after the Santas left the factory.
If accidentally swallowed, the small, round batteries can get lodged in the oesophagus and burn a hole through its lining.
The most serious cases are associated with Lithium button batteries larger than 20mm (the size of a 10 pence piece) which can cause severe injury within two hours.
London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital said in September that it had seen a big increase in cases in the past year.
The Co-op said customers with one of these products should not eat it, but call the company’s customer relations team for a full refund.
Anyone who is concerned should call Freephone 0800 0686 727.
Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07581350321
Breaking local news as it happens, searchable archives with photographs, the ability to instantly comment on news articles – there are so many advantages to OTS (Onthespot) News.
If you want your news read locally online then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org – relying only on the newspaper is to restrict yourself to an ever reducing audience.