It is important that the Muslim community enjoy Ramadan but remain safe during the month. By following a few simple steps they can greatly reduce the risk of fire within their home.
• Never leave cooking unattended and take care when deep frying food.
• Never fill the pan more than one third full of oil. If the oil starts to smoke turn off the heat and leave the pan to cool.
• NEVER THROW WATER OVER THE PAN.
• When cooking take care with loose clothing.
• Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service advise people not to use chip pans and use deep fat fryers which are much safer.
• Take extra care when cooking before sunrise when you may be tired.
• Most importantly, make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home and test it each week by touching the test button.
• Without a working smoke alarm you are six times more likely to die in an accidental house fire in the home.
• Working Smoke alarms save lives
• Keep your home, family and community safe from fire
For further information please contact Bilingual Safety Advocates on 0151 296 6270.
For more information about Ramadan see http://www.mcb.org.uk/
Photo: Happy Ramadan by Ranoush. rana ossama from Flickr Source MF&RS Corporate Communications
Do you have a story to tell? Please text or phone 07930717137 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow OTS (Onthespot) on Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_news