Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service

Battery Charger Left On Over Night Causes Fire In Kitchen Of House With No Smoke Alarms

Birch Street, Birkdale. Firefighters extinguished a blaze after a fire started when a battery charger was left on over night in a kitchen.   Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 4.51am on Tuesday, January 1, to Birch Street, Birkdale.   Watch Manager Dave Shanahan, who is with Red Watch at Southport Community Fire Station and attended the call-out, said: “The battery charger had been left on overnight on a carpet on the floor. We advise that people do not leave electrical items charging at night and they have working smoke alarms on each level of their homes. This occupier did not have smoke alarms.

“The Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service vehicle was requested and also attended this incident and their volunteers provided help and assistance to the occupier.”   The Merseyside Fire and Emergency Support Service (FESS) has a specially equipped vehicle which can be called on by emergency services during week nights and weekends and bank holidays. It is provided by volunteers with the British Red Cross.   The fire was extinguished by 5.13am and firefighters ventilated the property to clear it of smoke.   One appliance from Southport Community Fire Station and one from Formby Community Fire Station attended the call-out.l Firefighters carried out a Home Fire Safety Check and fitted two smoke alarms.

The male occupier was treated by paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation but refused hospital treatment.   The battery charger was severly damaged by fire along with around 5% of the kitchen. There was also smoke damage to the kitchen and one further room in the property.

Submit News

Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137   Email   Twitter

Breaking local news as it happens, searchable archives with photographs, the ability to instantly comment on news articles – there are so many advantages to OTS (Onthespot) News.

If you want your news read locally online then send it to – relying only on the newspaper is to restrict yourself to an ever reducing audience.

Onthespot – your online reporter Do you have a story to tell?

Please text or phone 07930717137 or email

Follow OTS (Onthespot) on Twitter