A thief has been jailed today at Liverpool Crown Court for two years, seven months after breaking into cars across Merseyside and beyond. Steven Anthony Barton, 47 years, of Elloway Road, Liverpool stole from cars in West Derby, Widnes, Aintree, Wigan, Hunts Cross and Speke in a series of thefts that began in November last year. Barton repeatedly waited in car parks at gyms and targeted unattended cars when he knew items had been left inside. he stole items including bank cards, which he was later caught on CCTV using in shops. When officers attempted to arrest Barton on 2…
Author: Court Reporter
A window cleaner has appeared in court for calling a traffic warden a paedophile when he was given a parking ticket. John Joseph (55) of Princes Street, Southport, pleaded guilty to two charges of using abusive or insulting words or behaviour to cause harassment, alarm or dis- tress when he appeared at Sefton Magistrates Court on March 13, when he also admitted driving without a licence or insurance on West Street. Andrew Page, prosecuting, said a civil enforcement officer employed by the local council was conducting his duties in West Street in Southport and attached a parking ticket to Joseph’s…
Southport Football Club are proud to announce that as of Saturday 9 February 2019, the Merseyrail Community Stadium will become a ‘Healthy Stadia’. With the help of the Community Foundation the club will launch three key initiatives within the stadium on match-days. The two main covered stands – The Jack Carr and The Pure Business Group Main Stand will become a fully non-smoking zone (this includes the use of vapes), where fans instead are encouraged to smoke within the ground on open terraces such as the Popular side. The club, in the future, will also be looking to incorporate that…
A cocaine user and convicted robber who twice walked out of a shop while stealing alcohol and threatening shop staff who confronted him, has avoided jail after magistrates heard he had given up the drug following the birth of his baby. Peter Croft, 27, of Central Avenue, Birkdale, was jailed for six years in 2013 for robbery and attempted robbery, Sefton Magistrates Court was told on January 9 where he pleaded guilty to three shop thefts and two offences of using threatening words and behaviour with intent to cause fear of unlawful violence. Angela Blackmore, prosecuting, said that on October…
Southport woman JAILED after TK Maxx theft Sara Wilson, a 41 year old female from Southport was arrested in relation to theft shop at TK Maxx on 13/09/18, where perfume to the value of £41 was stolen. She was later charged with the theft and appeared in court on 14th September. She was sentenced to 9 weeks in prison (Custodial Sentence).
Southport man handed suspended sentence after vicious attack. A Southport man has been given a 12 month suspended sentence after a vicious attack on a pub landlords son. Magistrates gave 52 year old Stuart Smith the term and a banning order after he set about and left popular publican Annie McTaggart’s son needing hospital treatment after an affray in the Wellington Pub earlier this year. Annie’s son was left with bite marks in his head and a severely damaged knee in the attack which was witnessed by regulars at the Eastbank Street pub. Stuart Smith was named in court and…
Southport man sentenced to 8 years after brutal attack Michael Comiskey-Quinn aged 19 of Southport has been sentenced to 8 years imprisonment. This was following his conviction for a serious assault which took place in Zetland Street, Southport. Michael Comiskey-Quinn – whose nickname is ‘Sprouty’ – has now been locked up for eight years for his role in the assault on a Mr Doherty. The brutal attack took place in a home on Zetland Street in Southport. Doherty was sleeping on a sofa after a house party when three men, including Comiskey-Quinn, entered the home. Michael Comiskey-Quinn aged 19 of Southport…
Judge Everett jails Barton for 21 years. David Barton senior, was recently convicted of multiple frauds and thefts following the longest trial in the history of Liverpool Crown Court, which lasted over a year. Barton 64, of Oxford Road in Birkdale, was caught out by what was described as his “extraordinary greed”. He stole millions from wealthy residents at the luxurious Barton Park Nursing Home. https://www.otsnews.co.uk/businessman-swindled-millions-care-home-residents-sentenced/ Barton was reported by the Liverpool press to have showed no emotion as he was jailed The Judge told him: “You can go.” Barton showed no emotion.
A businessman who swindled millions of pounds from elderly residents living at a care home he owned in Southport is to be sentenced later. David Barton Senior was caught out by what was described as his “extraordinary greed”. He stole millions from wealthy residents at the luxurious Barton Park Nursing Home. The 64 year old was convicted of multiple frauds and thefts after the longest trial in the history of Liverpool Crown Court – lasting more than a year. The general manager at the home, Rosemary Booth, 69, of Hesketh Drive, Southport, was convicted of two counts of conspiracy to…
Southport man jailed for sharing ‘revenge porn’ on Whatsapp Joseph Sammon, changed his profile picture on the messaging app to an intimate photo of the victim, taken when they were a couple, making it visible to all his contacts. Sammon, 40, of Southport, was jailed for 16 weeks at Liverpool Magistrates Court (Thursday 21 June) after being found guilty of disclosing a private sexual photograph with intent to cause distress. He also admitted an unrelated charge of possession of an air rifle without a certificate, found during a search of his home. Sammon was also banned from contacting the victim…
Drug lord, Julian Solomon flooded the Midlands with heroin and cocaine as part of an international trafficking operation run from his bedroom has been jailed for 25 years. Julian Solomon was one of eight men to be caught after police found more than £66 million worth of Class A drugs in the back of a lorry – the biggest drug seizure Greater Manchester Police has ever made. Solomon, a former bouncer, ran the operation – that saw drugs trafficked from Belgium to the UK via Holland – from his home in Hale, near to Manchester Airport. He then arranged for…
Suthport man ‘caught on motorway with £30,000 cannabis haul in car’ The discovery was made on the A74(M) near Moffat in Dumfries and Galloway. A Southport man has appeared in court after £30,000 worth of cannabis was allegedly found in his car on a motorway. Andrew Hemming was arrested when officers stopped a vehicle on the A74(M) near Moffat in Dumfries and Galloway. The 52-year-old, of Southport in Merseyside, England, is accused of being involved in the supply of drugs following the discovery at 6.30pm on Monday. Mr Hemming made no plea or declaration during the private hearing at…
The government-funded scheme claimed to help youngsters from deprived backgrounds gain coaching qualifications. But those running it lied about the number of people enrolled and did not carry out all of the promised training. In total, four men were found guilty and two others admitted fraud charges at Southwark Crown Court. Aizlewood, 58, was a Welsh international while Sugrue, 56, played for clubs including Middlesbrough and Cardiff City. Judge David Tomlinson said the scam involved “eye watering sums of government money”. Jailing Aizlewood for six years and Sugrue for seven years, he added: “There was a serious detrimental effect on…
A woman who nearly crashed into a blind woman on Chapel Street, Southport while drink driving has been banned. Alison jane Padmore has been found guilty of drink driving after crashing her car on chapel street outside Costa coffee last year. Witnesses say Ms Padmore drove intoxicated onto pedestrianised area at 1.45 pm and Nearly hit blind woman with dog. She Proceeded to attempt to keep control of vehicle until a member of the public took her keys from the ignition and other members of the public rang the police. Ms Padmore was Found guilty of drink driving at Bootle…