|MORE TREATS THAN TRICKS ON HALLOWEEN AS ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR FALLS ON OCTOBER 31|
Merseyside Police has recorded far fewer reports of anti-social behaviour and vandalism on Halloween tonight compared to the previous night.
By 9pm, the force had only been called to around 130 incidents compared to more than 600 at the same stage of Tuesday evening.
The week between October 30 and November 5 is traditionally one of the busiest of the year for Merseyside’s emergency services but last night incidents fell by 5 per cent compared to the previous year.
And the number of reports of anti-social behaviour and criminal damage this Halloween fell by 15 percent compared to October 31 in 2011, from 252 incidents to 213 incidents.
Commander for the policing operation, Superintendent Rowley Moore, said parents and young people had heeded advice about how to enjoy the night safely and responsibly.
He said: “Tonight has been much quieter than last night, which in itself was down on previous years, so that is positive news for our communities.
“Parents have clearly listened to our advice to make sure they know what their children are doing for Halloween and the young people themselves have taken advantage of all the things put on for them.
“We have seen far fewer instances of groups of young people out of the street after dark getting involved in anti-social behaviour and the high numbers of officers we have had on duty has meant people have felt reassured and got a swift response when it was needed.
“A great deal of planning and effort has gone into what is a multi-agency operation running throughout Merseyside this week and we will continue to work hard to prepare for the next busy period around Bonfire Night.”
There were 21 arrests made between 2pm and 11pm compared to 24 in last year’s October 31 operation.
Onthespot – your online reporter www.onthespotnews.co.uk
Do you have a story to tell? Please text or phone 07930717137 or email email@example.com
Follow OTS (Onthespot) on Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_news