VIDEO: Public Meeting Regarding Botanic Gardens Closure Gets Heated

ots-southport-botanic meeting 1

Over a hundred Southport residents including MP John Pugh attended St Cuthbert’s hall to discuss the possible closure of Botanic Gardens fernery if Sefton Council sack three members of staff in the new year. (Thursday 4th December 2014)

Everyone who attended was united in agreement that staff cuts could not happen.

One resident said

It’s terrible to think that we could loose such a beautiful park that holds so much history.

But at the end of the day it’s the council that make the final decision and no else”.

Another resident said

“We will soon have ‘pay and display’ system in the Verulam Road car park to assist run down and overgrown park, its such a shame.”

Below: Respected local resident Steve Johnson   

A spokesman for Sefton previously said: “Following the publication of the council’s latest savings options, we are aware of rumors circulating that Botanic Gardens, in Southport, is set to close.

“We would like to make it clear that this is not the case.

“One of the budget options includes the possibility of closing the plant shop at Botanic Gardens and potentially outsourcing the management of the fernery and aviary. These are only options to go before councilors at this stage and no decisions have been made.

“We should re-iterate that the council is faced with further significant cuts in Government funding which means having to reduce spending by an extra £55 million over the next two years.

“These new cuts come on the back of four years of spending reductions which, by 2017, will equate to 45% in real terms since 2011.

“As we have said previously, in identifying this latest set of options, we have followed a principle of ‘efficiency before cuts.’

“However, the scale of the total reductions we have to make means there will inevitably be an impact on services to local communities.”

ots-southport-botanic meeting-kidsAbove: Local children 

Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07581350321 or 07930717137

Email [email protected]






OTS News