Stay Safe From Fire In The Kitchen


Stay Safe From Fire In The Kitchen

Residents are urged to take care when cooking following a number of kitchen fires across Merseyside.

There were 58 kitchen fires in Merseyside in June and people are advised to take extra care when preparing food.

During the month of June, in Liverpool there were 22 kitchen fires, in Wirral there were 16 incidents, in St Helens there were ten, in Sefton there seven and in Knowsley there were three.

Throughout August the national Fire Kills Campaign will also be highlighting cooking fire safety.

Group Manager Ben Ryder, Liverpool District Manager, said: “Over half of accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen.

“There are simple steps people can take to stay safe when cooking. People should also ensure they use electrical appliances appropriately in the kitchen.

“Kitchen fires can be devastating for families but can be prevented.”

Here are some simple fire safety tips to keep people safe in the kitchen.

Cooking safely
• Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when food is cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
• Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
• Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
• Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
• Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
• Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
• People are also urged not to cook when tired or after consuming alcohol.

Take care with electrics
• Keep electrics, such as leads and appliances, away from water.
• Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
• Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can cause a fire.

Deep fat frying
• Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily.
• Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash.
• If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
• Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer rather than a chip pan as they won’t overheat.

Group Manager Ryder added: “A working smoke alarm can give the valuable seconds to escape a house fire. Residents are advised to have smoke alarms fitted on each floor of their property and to test them every week.

“People are also urged to have an escape plan in place in the event of a fire.

“If a pan catches fire, people should not take any risks. They should turn off the heat if it is safe to do so and if possible close the kitchen door. People should never throw water over a pan fire.

“People should not attempt to tackle a fire but should get out, stay out and call 999.”

For free fire safety advice visit or call 0800 731 5958.
Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected]





OTS News