Southport Past (OTS News) Home to Hartley Jam Producers Oxford Road Southport September 18th, 2013 admin Latest Past Shares Comments Southport Past (OTS News) Home to Hartley Jam Producers Oxford Road Southport In 2003 an application was put forward to demolish two houses in Birkdale. No 11, Oxford Road, a splendid Victorian property once owned by the Hartley family (famous jam producers). The family also had connections with Southport maternity hospital. The other house next door was a corner property No 45 Westcliffe Road (built in the 1930’s). Both were later demolished and have since made way for a new housing development. Pictured above is 11, Oxford Road Birkdale, Southport. Pictured above is adjoining corner property 45, Westcliffe Road, Southport No 11, Oxford Road was former ‘Eversleigh Nursing Home’ Local resident Carole Bamber who has lived in Oxford Road since 1939 (and still does to date 2013) made objections to the plans saying the whole idea is atrocious! Her objections fell on deaf ears at Sefton Council planning. Pictured below is Carole Bamber. …………………………………………………………………………………………… William Pickles HARTLEY of Trawden Hall was one of the region’s famous sons – he set up factories for jam making and preserving, whose products grew to be world famous. William was born in Colne, Lancashire. He married Martha Horsfield and started his business career as a grocer at Colne. In 1871 a supplier failed to deliver a batch of jam. William dealt with the situation by making his own. The jam, marmalade and jelly sold well and he continued to make it. He brought his young family to Southport in 1880, thus beginning a long association with philanthropic deeds to the benefit of the town in general and the Methodist church in particular. One of his five daughters, Christiana (1872-1948) became Southport’s first woman Mayor (1921-22). All the Hartley family were active in the non-conformist church. In 1884 the jam-making business was incorporated as William Hartley & Sons Ltd. In 1885 the business moved to Aintree, Liverpool. In 1902 Hartley opened a jam factory in Bermondsey, south-east London. At one point the factory employed 2,000 people. William, was Knighted by King Edward VII in 1908 “for his many princely acts of benefice and philanthropy rendered to his Country”. He donated funds for the Derby Road Sunday School and Christiana built the Maternity Hospital named after her, in Curzon Road, Southport, Merseyside. Many other local charities benefited from their generosity. Hartley’s was acquired by Schweppes. In 1981 Hartley closed its factory in Bermondsey Please email in your old photographs of Southport to [email protected] Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected] Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_news Related Comments comments!