Smoke Alarms Raise Alarm After Cooking Bacon Left Unattended September 6th, 2012 steve c Latest News Latest Uncategorized Shares Comments Firefighters were called out after a fire started when a frying pan was left unattended in a first floor flat. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 3.36am on Thursday September 6 to a house which had been converted into flats in Saunders Street, Southport. The pan of food fire was out when firefighters arrived. Watch Manager Ian Nelson, who was based at Southport Community Fire Station and attended the call-out, said: “Bacon had been left cooking unattended. Smoke alarms raised the alarm. We would always advise that people never leave cooking unattended.” Firefighters fitted two more smoke alarms in the building. The flat was lightly damaged by smoke. A man was given a precautionary check by paramedics for slight smoke inhalation. Two appliances from Southport Community Fire Station attended the call-out. Firefighters had left the scene by 4.11am. Related Comments comments!