Smoke Alarms Alert People To Fire After Candle Left On Top Of TV Southport October 14th, 2013 admin Latest News Shares Comments Smoke Alarms Alert People To Fire After Candle Left On Top Of TV, Southport Firefighters extinguished a fire involving a TV after smoke alarms alerted people to the danger. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 8.36am on Tuesday, October 15, to Scarisbrick New Road, Southport. The fire, which was in an unoccupied flat, was extinguished by 8.49am. firefighters also used a fan to clear smoke from the property. Firefighters gave oxygen to three people at the scene for suspected smoke inhalation. Firefighters also carried out a Home Fire Safety Check. Two fire appliances from Southport Community Fire Station attended the call-out. Watch Manager Steve Bousfield, who attended the call-out with Green Watch at Southport Community Fire Station, said: “A lit candle which was placed on top of the TV had caused this fire. It appears the candle had been left unattended and smoke alarms alerted three people who were in the flat at the time allowing their escape from the building. “We advise that candles are never left on plastic surfaces including TVs and they are placed on a ceramic base or heatproof mat and never left6 unattended.” The candle and TV were severely damaged by fire. For free fire safety advice call 0800 731 5958. Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected] Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_news Facebook www.facebook.com/otsnews.co.uk Related Comments comments!