Smoke Alarms Alert Occupier To Fire In Southport April 5th, 2013 admin Latest News Shares Comments Smoke Alarms Alert Occupier To Fire In Southport Smoke alarms alerted an occupier to a fire involving electrical wiring at a property. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 2.20am on Friday, April 5, to Kensington Road, Southport. Firefighters had extinguished the fire on the ground floor by 2.56am. They also gave oxygen to a woman at the scene. Paramedics also treated the woman at the scene for slight smoke inhalation. Watch Manager Phil Wakefield, who is with Green Watch and is based at Southport Community Fire Station and attended the call-out, said: “There was believed to have been a short circuit in wiring in a wall near one of the plug sockets which caused this fire. It was a slow burning fire which created a lot of smoke and set off the smoke alarms. This illustrates the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home. “The occupier also kept all doors shut at night – which is what we also advise – and this limited the smoke damage. “We advise that people have working smoke alarms on each level of their home and they test them every week by pressing the test button.” A wooden shelving unit was damaged by fire. There was also mild smoke damage to the lounge. Firefighters also carried out a Home Fire Safety Check while at the property. Two appliances from Southport Community Fire Station attended the call-out. For free fire safety advice call 0800 7315958. Related Comments comments!