Match Report Bootle FC 3 Barnoldswick Town 2

ots-bootle fc 1 southport ots onthespot ots

Tom Peterson’s hat-trick helped Bootle produce a stunning comeback against Barnoldswick Town.

The Bucks were 2 – 0 down inside the opening half-an-hour, but fought back to claim all 3 points with an excellent 3-2 victory.

Despite the being 2 – 0 down after half-an-hour, it was Bootle who started the better.

Tom Peterson’s corner found the head of Jamie Hay, whose header reached Billy Smart. However, Smart’s first time shot was brilliantly blocked on the line by Town goalkeeper Christopher Taylor.

Two minutes later and the Bucks again had the chance to take the lead. Neil McQueen disposed Joel Melia, before finding teammate John Cheetham, whose perfectly timed ball released Daniel O’Connor. However, O’Connor hesitated in front of goal and allowed Taylor to produce a superb block tackle.

Eight minutes later, and the Bucks paid the price for failing to take their chances as Town took the lead. Joel Melia advanced down the Bootle right, before cutting inside and unleashing a powerful shot which superbly saved by Bucks keeper Dean Porter. However, Porter could only parry Melia’s shot and it allowed Aaron Hollindrake to pounce and finish in the bottom corner.

Nine minutes later and Barnoldswick doubled their lead. Once again, Melia drove at the Bootle defence from the right hand side, before cutting inside and  unleashing a low drive, which found the bottom corner leaving Town 2-0 up with half an hour played.

With 5 minutes, remaining of the first half Bootle got themselves back in the game. Chris Lowe found Tom Peterson who turned and unleashed a low drive from 25 yards out, which found the bottom corner of the net via the aid of the post

The Bucks started the second half brightly and could have been level inside the opening 10 minutes. Substitute Sam Wilkie, found advancing right back Ste Ferrigan, whose low drive went inches past the near the post.

There was little rest bite for the Town defence as Bootle created chance after chance, and where soon rewarded with a well-earned equaliser. Jamie Hay’s long ball found Tom Peterson who advanced into the Town box before firing an unstoppable shot that flew into the roof of the net.

Twelve minutes from time and the Bucks had a golden chance to win the game. Chris Tyson’s cross was punched away by Taylor, but Taylor’s punch landed straight to Michael Roberts’s feet 8 yards out.  However, Roberts somehow managed to fire over.

Nevertheless, the Bucks finally did win it win 8 minutes remaining. Sam Howell handled, after Conor Christiansen crossed. The referee pointed to the spot and Peterson stepped up and sent Taylor the wrong to compete his hat-trick, and the Bucks comeback.

By Connor O’Neill

Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected]

Twitter s




OTS News