Hospital outpatient attendances up by 3.9 per cent December 12th, 2013 admin Latest News Shares Comments Hospital outpatient attendances up by 3.9 per cent Hospital outpatient attendances totalled 75.5 million during 2012/13, an increase of 3.9 per cent on the previous year, new figures from the Health and Social Care Information Centre show. A total of 94 million appointments were made during the year (3.4 per cent up on 2011/12, 91million). Aside from the 75.5 million attendances, patients missed(3) 6.9 million or 7.3 per cent of appointments (an increase of 1.1 per cent or 75,200 on last year) and cancelled 5.8 million or 6.1 per cent (an increase of 3.5 per cent or 196,400). Meanwhile, hospitals cancelled 5.8 million or 6.1 per cent (an increase of 0.5 per cent or 26,100)(4). The figures are published today in Hospital Outpatient Activity 2012/13. The report also shows: • At their first attendance, 32.0 per cent of patients (7.3 million) were discharged, 33.2 per cent (7.5 million) had a follow-up appointment booked and 33.6 per cent (7.6 million) were marked down to be sent a follow-up appointment at a later date. • The treatment specialties with the highest number of attendances included Trauma and Orthopaedics (7.4 million or 9.8 per cent), Ophthalmology (6.6 million or 8.8 per cent) and Physiotherapy (3.7 million or 4.8 per cent). • Overall, patients aged 65 to 69 had the highest number of attendances (6.3 million or 8.5 per cent of all attendances), a rise of 9.4 per cent on last year. • For women, the highest number of attendances was recorded for those aged 30-34 (3.7 million or 8.4 per cent of all attendances for women) largely due to maternity-related appointments. Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected] Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_news Facebook www.facebook.com/otsnews.co.uk Related Comments comments!