Football Report Bootle 2 St Helens Town 1

ots-bootle fc 1 southport ots onthespot ots

Two superb second half goals from Tom Peterson and Jack McDowell were enough to give Bootle a 2-1 win over St Helens Town.

The Bucks started well, having plenty of possession in Towns half, but were restricted to long shots by a Town defence sitting deep.

However, on the 35th minute mark the Bucks were presented a golden chance to take the lead. Town goalkeeper Ciaran Gibson picked up Daniel Owens back pass, and after much hesitation, the referee rightly awarded an in-direct free kick to the Bucks. However, Chris Tyson strike hit the Town wall, after being teed up by Michael Roberts.

Four minutes into the second half, and the Bucks created a superb chance to give themselves the lead. Tom Peterson broke down the right, before crossing for James Riley – who managed to rescue the ball, and produced a superb cross, which found the head of Billy Smart – whose goal bound header was deflected wide.

Finally, on the 59th minute mark, Town managed to create their first chance of the game. Andy Olsen’s 30-yard hook towards goal forced Bucks keeper Dave Moran, into a routine save by pushing the ball over the cross bar.

Two minutes later and Bootle took a deserved lead. Michael Roberts’ corner found Chris Tyson on the edge of the area. Tyson then crossed for Tom Peterson, who produced a stunning overhead kick, which nestled into the top corner.

Four minutes later and the Bucks had another golden chance to double their advantage. Billy Smart played in Daniel O’Connor – whose goal bound effort was stopped by the onrushing Town goalkeeper Gibson. However, the ball rebounded straight into the path of Tom Peterson, who failed to keep his shot down, and saw it fly over the crossbar.

Although with 16 minutes reaming, the Bucks finally did get their deserved second in superb style. Michael Roberts advanced into the Town half, before playing the ball into the path of Daniel O’Connor. O’Connor then played a neat one-to with Jack McDowell, before McDowell cut inside and unleashed a right-footed strike, which flew into the far corner of the Town net.

With two minutes remaining, Town managed a consolation goal after sloppy play by Bootle. Daniel O’Connor produced a poor tackle inside the Bootle box, after the Bucks failed to keep hold of the ball. The referee awarded the penalty and Town fullback Shaun Judge stepped up and sent Moran the wrong way, to put his side back in the game with two minutes remaining.

Moran was soon called into action again to deny Town a late equaliser. Adam Storey’s goal bound effort was pushed away by Moran.
The Bucks had one last chance to kill the game off in the dying moments. Daniel O’Connor unleashed a half volley from outside the box. However, Gibson once again denied the striker, with a smart save down to his right.

Moran; Lowe, Hay (c), McQueen, McDowell; Christiansen (Young), Roberts, Tyson, Smart; Riley (O’Connor), Peterson (Ferrigan).

Young, O’Connor, Porter, Ferrigan, Carberry.

Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected]





OTS News