Firefighters Give Oxygen To Teenager After Petrol Container Catches On Fire, Southport May 21st, 2013 admin Latest News Shares Comments Firefighters Give Oxygen To Teenager After Petrol Container Catches On Fire, Southport Tuesday, 21 May 2013 Near Roe Lane, Southport. Firefighters treated a teenager for burns and gave him oxygen after he was injured playing with petrol. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 4.17pm to near Roe Lane, Southport, on Monday, May 20. Firefighters requested an ambulance for the teenager Speaking on Tuesday, May 21, Watch Manager Rob Hamill, who attended the call-out with firefighters with Green Watch based at Southport Community Fire Station, said: “Firefighters gave oxygen and applied a burn shield to burns to the teenager’s face. The fire had extinguished itself but this boy was very lucky he was not more seriously hurt. We urge people never to use fire with ignitable liquids. The fumes in petrol are invisible and can ignite, catching people off guard. “It is thought the teenager had tried to use petrol to start a fire in a stove. The petrol container caught alight and he walked around ten metres with the container to take it outside. We advise that if people discover a fire they get out, stay out and call 999. “We also urge people never to use flammable liquids when lighting a fire, never take flammable liquids indoors. Parents should also ensure flammable liquids are locked away securely and ensure young people left alone are aware what to do in the event of fire.” It is thought the teenager’s burns were superficial. The teenager was taken to Southport and Formby District General Hospital. There was some slight smoke logging to the ground floor of a property. Smoke alarms were present and activated. Two appliances from Southport Community Fire Station attended the call-out. Related Comments comments!