Firefighters Detect Levels Of Poisonous Carbon Monoxide While Carrying Out A Home Fire Safety Check At A Property, Southport November 1st, 2013 admin Latest News Shares Comments Firefighters Detect Levels Of Poisonous Carbon Monoxide While Carrying Out A Home Fire Safety Check At A Property, Southport Firefighters detected levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO) during a Home Fire Safety Check at a property. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service firefighters were carrying out Home Fire Safety Checks in the Preston New Road, Southport, at around 8.10pm on Thursday, October 31. Watch Manager Peter Kirkham, who is a member of Red Watch at Southport Community Fire Station, said: “Firefighters from Southport Community Fire Station noticed a wisp of smoke near a light fitting and could smell smoke while carrying out a Home Fire Safety Check at a property. Our equipment also revealed levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO), which is a poisonous gas which you can not see, smell or taste. “The smoke had come from a coal fire in a neighbouring property, which had a capped chimney and had resulted in more smoke in the area. Firefighters extinguished the coal fire and ventilated both properties, including using a fan to clear the smoke, then took Carbon Monoxide readings again, which registered no levels of Carbon Monoxide. A man from one of the properties was also taken out to fresh air. “We advised the occupiers of both properties to get Carbon Monoxide alarms and advised the occupier who had a capped chimney not to re-light the fire until the cap had been removed. “All of our frontline fire appliances have equipment that can detect dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide in buildings and properties we attend. Some of our fire appliances in Merseyside also carry information on their shutters about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide highlighting the Gas Safe Register. We advise that people not only have working smoke alarms in their homes but also a Carbon Monoxide detector. Gas appliances in your home should be checked each year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.” Two fire appliances from Southport Community Fire Station attended the area. In February last year a new awareness campaign by the Gas Safe Register was launched and saw six fire appliances across Merseyside carrying messages raising awareness of the risks of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning and encouraging the public to have their gas appliances safety checked annually. All frontline fire engines in Merseyside are equipped with ToxiRAE monitors, which are worn by firefighters and can detect dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide at locations visited by them either responding to incidents or while carrying out Home Fire Safety Checks. More information on Carbon Monoxide and its effect on people is available at: http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/carbon_monoxide_poisoning.aspx For free fire safety advice and to arrange a Home Fire Safety Check call 0800 7315958. An update will appear soon. Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected] Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_news Facebook www.facebook.com/otsnews.co.uk Related Comments comments!