Fire at Southport College January 29th, 2014 admin Latest News Shares Comments Fire at Southport College Firefighters extinguished a fire which started on the roof of a building in the grounds of Southport college. Firefighters used a hose and a nine-metre ladder along with rope access gear to tackle the fire on the flat roof of an annex of the college. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 10.56pm on Tuesday, January 28, to Mornington Road, Southport. Two fire appliances from Southport Community Fire Station attended the call-out. The fire was extinguished by 11.19pm. The suspected cause of the fire was a firework. Watch Manager Rob Hamill, who attended the call-out with Red Watch from Southport Community Fire Station said: “Fireworks can burn fiercely and produce a lot of heat in a very short space of time. We really urge people that if they are using fireworks that they do so in a responsible way. “If a member of the public had not spotted the fire and called 999 to contact the fire and rescue service the fire could have taken hold in the building and spread.” Approximately five-square-metres of the roof was damaged by fire. Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected] Twitter www.twitter.com/onthespot_news Facebook www.facebook.com/otsnews.co.uk Related Comments comments!