Bootle fall to a second defeat in three days – after a humiliating 3-0 defeat to AFC Liverpool

ots-BOOTLE FC southport ots onthespot ots

Bootle fell to a second defeat in three days – after a humiliating 3-0 defeat to AFC Liverpool.

Report By Connor O’Neill

The Bucks who were narrowly beaten 2-1 away at Colne on Saturday, traveled to their local rivals hoping to avenge their 1-0 defeat earlier in the season.

However, AFC started the much brighter and went in front inside the opening 20 minutes. Shaun Harris’ ball over the top found AFC’s top scorer Ryan Cox, who volleyed the ball into the far corner of the net, from an acute angle outside the box.

AFC soon doubled their advantage just before the half-hour mark. Ste Ferrighan fouled Shaun Harris inside the Bootle box. Cox stepped up and scored despite the best efforts of Bucks keeper Dave Moran, who got his hand to the penalty but failed to keep it out.

Two minutes later and Cox was handed a golden chance to complete his hat-trick as the Bucks conceded another penalty.  Ferrighan tripped Cox, as he looked destined to score. This time however, Moran was equal to the task and got down low to his left to turn the ball away.

Finally, just after the half-hour mark Bootle managed their first attempt on goal. Tom Peterson pounced on a lose ball and fired a first time shot, which was comfortably saved by AFC’s goalkeeper and manager Paul Moore.

Bootle started the second half in a much brighter manner. Pressing high and causing the AFC back-line problems, with Billy Smart and Jack McDowell both firing over.

However, Bootle failed to capitalize on their pressure and AFC went close to adding to their tally. Shaun Harris’ run resulted in Moran producing a smart save at the winger’s feet.

Ryan Cox then went clean through on goal after a quickly taken free kick by Michael Girvan. Cox rather unselfishly played in Ronnie Morgan, who took to long in getting his shot off and the move was stopped in its tracks.

Tom Peterson then forced Moore into a smart low stop after collecting Billy Smart’s pass as the Bucks went in search of a way back into the game.

However, AFC wrapped the game up in the fourth minute of stoppage time.  Jack Sinnott headed Joshua Purcell’s cross, home at the back post, to crown a fantastic afternoon’s work for AFC.

Speaking afterwards Bootle manger Joe Doran admitted he was disappointed with his side. He said: “I’m extremely disappointed with the performance today; it was nowhere near good enough.”

Submit News Contact us with your community, business or sport news. Phone 07930717137 Email [email protected]




OTS News